Also known as the land of Kings and Rajputana, Rajasthan happens to be the largest state in India. The state alone covers over 10.4% of our country and spread over 342,239 sq km. Places to visit in Rajasthan is immense, it is home to several ancient monuments and breathtaking architecture. Rajasthan is especially famous for its art. Each city in the state has a unique and charming style of architecture.
Due to extremely large sightseeing places to visit in Rajasthan, it is on the travel bucket list of the local and international tourists. Thanks to its diverse culture, warm and welcoming people, colorful markets, majestic monuments, and the never-ending deserts. The state attracts tourists from all over the world throughout the year. From splendid sand dunes to centuries-old forts, Rajasthan is an ultimate destination for history buffs and art lovers. The largest state of the county is home to some of the royal forts and remnants that remind you of the kingdoms and rulers here. If you haven’t yet explored the wonderful art and the diverse culture of Rajasthan, it is high time you planned a trip to this Land of Kings. Rajasthan famous places are surrounded by forts and handicrafts market. You will never run out of tourist places in Rajasthan. Make sure you spend a few days in each colorful town to take in the charm of the state. Here we’ve compiled a list of the top Rajasthan tourist places every traveler must know. So, keep reading and learn about some interesting tourist attractions in Rajasthan.
1. Jaipur – The Pink City of India
On the itinerary of places to visit in Rajasthan, first up on our list is Jaipur, the Pink City of India. Sawai Jaisingh II was the founder of Jaipur, which has grown to become the capital city of Rajasthan. Do you want to get an insight into the lifestyle of the emperors who ruled the state in the bygone era? Well, Jaipur is an ideal destination for tourists who are interested in learning about the wonderful and mysterious history of Rajasthan.
Otheraesthetic places to visit in Jaipur are the sturdy forts that have withstood the ravages of time look extremely gorgeous. Moreover, the architecture of these forts and other monuments remind us of the old artisans and their incredible skills. Explore the majestic forts and ancient monuments and get a lifetime experience. Jaipur houses some of the popular and UNESCO World Heritage monuments such as Jantar Mantar and Amer Fort. The city boasts of a perfect blend of ancient and modern culture. Tourist places in Jaipur is not limited to forts and monuments but even the casual streets in the city scream history. Not only history lovers, but shopaholics find Jaipur a perfect tourist destination. Some of the unique and vibrant market places to visit in Jaipur are Johri Bazar, Bapu Bazar, and Tripolia Bazar, that offer a wide variety of handicrafts and souvenirs.
Things to do in Jaipur
- Do not miss out on Dal Baati Churma, Ghewar, and Pyaaz Kachori while in Jaipur.
- Indulge in shopping in Jaipur and collect precious bags, trinkets, Rajasthani outfits, and more.
- Enjoy an amazing ride on the elephants and pass through the thick forests and exciting streets
- Discover the stories of heroic battles.
- Take your kids to the famous water park in Jaipur
- Schedule a visit to the majestic buildings and royal forts
- Explore the intricate architecture of the Hawa Mahal, Jal Mahal, and Amer Fort.
Popular Tourist Destinations
Jaipur gets its nickname ‘The Pink City’ because of the pinkish hue in its monuments and popular sites. Some of the popular places to visit in Jaipur and must-visit tourist attractions in Jaipur are Hawa Mahal, Jantar Mantar Jaipur, Pink City Bazaars, City Palace, Jaigarh Fort, Birla Temple, Govind Dev Ji Temple, Amer Fort, Albert Hall Museum, Jal Mahal, and more.
2. Udaipur – The City of Lakes
Among best sightseeing tourist places in Rajasthan is Udaipur. It is another precious gem of Rajasthan. Nestled in the Aravali hills on all four sides, Udaipur makes a lovely destination for nature and art lovers. Blessed with the nature and fascinating temples in abundance, the City of Lakes is a must-visit destination for all kinds of travelers.
Dotted with quite a few lakes, the Venice of the East is popular for the Rajputana style monuments and extremely stunning architecture. Maharana Udai Singh II was the founder of the city. The wonderful attractions here justify all the terms used to describe the charm of Udaipur i.e. The City of Lakes, Jewel of Mewar, and Venice of the East.
Udaipur is associated with a strong history and cultural background. The wonderful monuments reflect the breathtaking architecture of the ancient Rajput era, while the four pristine lakes allow you to observe nature to its fullest.
Things to Do in Udaipur
- Enjoy boat riding at Lake Pichola and pay a visit to the nearby locations such as Lake Palace and Lake Garden Palace
- Savor a pure Rajasthani Thali near Royal Vintage Car Museum
- Witness an amazing architecture at Jag Mandir Palace and Sas Bahu Temple
- Explore the perfect natural attractions at Saheliyo Ki Bari Garden and capture some splendid shots of the lush greenery and vegetation.
- Go trekking at Tiger Lake
- Pay a visit to the Kumbhalgarh fort and discover the interesting history of the palace
Popular Tourist attractions
Some of the best places to visit in Udaipur are City Palace, Monsoon Palace, Vintage Car Museum, Fateh Sagar Lake, Lake Pichola, Udai Sagar Lake, Jag Mandir, Kumbhalgarh Fort, Sajjangarh Palace, Eklingji Temple, and Swaroop Sagar.
3. Mount Abu – A Hill Station Amidst the Rajasthan’s Deserts
Another prominent places to visit in Rajasthan is Mount Abu. Being the only hill station in the desert-based state, Mount Abu receives tourists in large numbers annually. Located close to the Gujarat and Rajasthan border, Mount Abu is considered a heaven for nature lovers. Set out on a trip to Mount Abu and get a perfect escape from the city’s hot weather. It’s a perfect place to spend a few days in the lap of nature, away from the city’s hustle-bustle.
Mount Abu comes under must-visit tourist places in Rajasthan, it boasts of calm and cool weather. Surrounded by lush greenery and sacred places, the hill station makes an ultimate weekend getaway destination for spiritual tourists and peace seekers. A visit to the Dilwara Temples in Mount Abu is a must for all the architecture lovers and pilgrims. The mesmerizing architecture and interesting history will leave you speechless. Built approx a thousand years ago, Dilwara Temples are famous for its intricate architecture. If you aren’t into architecture and history, then Mount Abu offers quite a few viewpoints and natural attractions for newlyweds. You could head to the Sunset point to capture the perfect sunset view in the evening or rent a boat at Nakki Lake to enjoy boating in the crystal-clear waters while enjoying a wonderful sightseeing experience.
Things to Do in Mount Abu
- Enjoy camping at Aravali
- Rent a boat at Nakki Lake and explore the surrounding views
- Capture the exclusive species of birds at Trevors Tank
- Head to the Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary and explore a wide range of rare and endangered animal species.
- Go trekking at Guru Shikhar
Popular Attractions in Mount Abu
Fortunately, you can plan a trip to Mount Abu throughout the year. Make sure that you don’t miss out on the major attractions in the hill station, which includes Peace Park, Dilwara Temples, Guru Shikhar, Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary, Arbuda Devi Temple, Nakki Lake, and Achalgarh Village.
4. Pushkar – The Cultural and Spiritual Hotspot
Pushkar is among top tourist places in Rajasthan. Located at a distance of 15 kilometers from Ajmer, Pushkar is famous for hosting one of the biggest and colorful camel fairs in India. Pushkar Mela is organized in this small, rustic town every year in November. Lying amidst the Aravali Ranges, Pushkar receives hundreds of thousands of tourists throughout the year.
Pushkar is known for housing the Brahma Temple, the only Hindu temple devoted to Lord Brahma. It is a spiritual tourist destination, with several Ghats and temples for Hindu devotees. Every day, the Aarti and Hindu rituals are performed at Pushkar Ghats in the evening. It feels wonderful to take a walk around the narrow streets of this colorful town. Get to the Pushkar Ghats and listen to the chants and holy Mantras while sipping the delicious Rajasthani-special tea.
In addition to being a spiritual tourist place, Pushkar is a shopper’s paradise. On the narrow streets of this rustic town, you will find plenty of handicrafts and colorful accessories for women and kids. The hand-decorated bags and intricate jewelry look extremely stunning. To make the most of your Pushkar trip, schedule a visit to this spiritual city during Pushkar Mela occasion and get a wonderful opportunity to witness amazing cultural performances, interesting sports, stunningly decorated camels, magic shows, and food stalls. It should be in your list of Rajasthan tourist places. From a religious site to a cultural town, Pushkar has evolved to become one of the tourist’s favorite cultural hotspots in Rajasthan.
Things to Do in Pushkar
- Visit Pushkar during the grand camel fair festival and participate in the popular games.
- Explore the classic wears of Rajasthanis at Pushkar street shops.
- Buy Kundan, trinkets, handicrafts, and cultural wear from the local stores
- Pushkar is home to approx 50 Ghats, which are known for their purifying property. Pay a visit to some of the popular and sacred Ghats such as Brahma Ghat, Karni, Varaha, and Kota.
- Enjoy Rappelling, rock climbing, camping, trekking, and quad biking in Pushkar.
Popular Tourist Attractions
The major attraction in Pushkar is the biggest camel fair organized between October and November annually. Other than that, you could visit the Pushkar Lake, Apteshwar Temple, Pushkar Bazaar, Meerabai Temple, Brahma Temple, Varaha Temple, Atmeshwar Temple, and more.
5. Chittorgarh – The former capital of Mewar
Chittorgarh houses magnificent forts, ruins of the bygone era, and some major tourist attractions. Though the city is home to a myriad of charming sites, it is specifically famous for the Chittorgarh Fort. The fort covers over 700 acres and is constructed on a hilltop. Being the largest forts in the country, Chittorgarh fort receives plenty of tourists annually.
The fort is mainly remembered for the sacrifice of the brave and intelligent Rani Padmini, who attempted Jauhar (suicide) in order to stop Alauddin Khilji from invading the fortress. Chittorgarh fort is recognized for the popular battles fought here, mainly the battle between Alauddin Khilji and Rajputs. The specialty of Chittorgarh is the Padmini Palace, which derives its name from Rani Padmini.
Things to Do in Chittorgarh
- Go shopping at Sadar Bazaar, Gandhi Chowk, Rana Sangha Market, and Fort Road Market
- Explore Chittorgarh Fort and discover the history of Rajputs.
Popular Tourist Attractions
Among traditional Rajasthan tourist places comes Chittorgarh. Chittorgarh is home to quite a few tourist attractions including Gau Mukh Kund, Bassi Wildlife Sanctuary, Meera Temple, Vijay Stambh, Maha Sati, Rana Kumbha’s Place, Chittorgarh Fort, Kriti Stambh, and Kalika Mata Temple.
6. Ajmer – Popular for the Dargah Sharif
Another best tourist places in Rajasthan is Ajmer. Nestled in the Aravali Ranges, Ajmer is especially famous for the holy Dargah Sharif of the Muslim priest ‘Khwaja Muin-ud-din Chishti’. A 130 kilometers drive from the capital city Jaipur will take you to this Muslim holy city. A visit to Ajmer is a must for tourists, who are looking for a spiritual vacation trip.
You are going to love the mesmerizing architecture the city has to offer to its travelers. In addition to housing the Dargah Sharif, Ajmer is home to the Golden Jain Temple. Ajmer is crowded with lots of believers and people from different religions during the Urs of Saint Muin-ud-din Chishti. In fact, most of the tourists visiting Pushkar take a stop at Ajmer to pay honor to the Muslim’s holy priest. The shrine alone receives tourists in the count of thousands every day. Other than that, the city is home to some ancient monuments that are famous for intricate architecture and a strong history. Some of the centuries-old constructions in Ajmer are Adhai Din Ka Jhopra, Taragarh Fort, Soniji Ki Nasiyan, and Akbari Fort.
Things to do in Ajmer
- Rent a boat at Ana Sagar Lake and enjoy boating in the pristine rive
- Pay a visit to Dargah Sharif and witness the pure shrine of Khwaja Muin-ud-din Chishti.
- Take a walk around Daulat Bagh
- Spend your night at Sipah Salar Bar
- Explore the magnificent architecture of Akbar Palace and discover the history of its construction at Akbar Museum.
- Visit Lake Foy Sagar in the evening to capture the wonderful sunset view
Popular Tourist Attraction
With a holy Dargah and a plethora of historical monuments, Ajmer is one of the best places to visit in Rajasthan. While in Ajmer, do not miss out on the popular tourist attractions including Ana Sagar Lake, Dargah Sharif, Akbar’s Palace and Museum, Daulat Bagh, Clock Tower, Adhai Din ka Jhopra, Lake Foy Sagar, Nareli Jain Temple, and Soniji Ki Nasiyan.
7. Bharatpur – Home to Keoladeo National Park
Located at a distance of 38 kilometers from Mathura is Bharatpur, home to Keoladeo National Park. The park accommodates approx 370 rare and exclusive species of birds and animals. The National Park in Bharatpur was declared as UNESCO’s World Heritage Site in 1985. If you are interested in exploring wildlife and rare Indian bird and animal species, you should definitely consider a trip to Bharatpur and Keoladeo National Park.
The park has Siberian Crane, which is hardly found in India. Commonly known as Ghana, the Keoladeo National Park is only a 5 kilometers drive from the Bharatpur Railway Station. This small yet culturally beautiful city has been once governed by a number of rulers including Nizams, Jats, and Britishers. Under cultural Rajasthan tourist places comes Bharatpur. It is an ultimate destination for tourists, who intend to explore the true Rajasthani culture. Bharatpur is home to forts, museums, temples, shopping centers, and some ancient monuments. Located at an altitude of 600 feet, Bharatpur is also known as ‘the Eastern Gateway of Rajasthan’.
Things to do in Bharatpur
- Spend some time alone at Chawad Devi Temple and Seetharam Temple
- Discover over 370 species of endangered birds and animals at Keoladeo National Park
- Explore the history of the Mughal emperors at Band Baretha
- Observe the beautifully embellished walls, imposing statues, and intricate designs on the doors of Laxmi Mandir.
- Get a chance to discover the robust and intricate architecture of the Lohagarh Fort
Popular Tourist Attractions
Being counted in the Rajasthan famous places, Bharatpur has a lot of interesting tourist places for its tourists. The major attractions in the city include Lohagarh Fort, Deeg, Band Baretha, Keoladeo National Park, Bankey Bihari Temple, Gopal Bhawan, Dholpur Palace, Kaman, Bharatpur Palace and Museum, Ganga Mandir, and more.
8. Jaisalmer – The City Housing Thar Desert
Jaisalmer should be in your list of Rajasthan tourist places. Your trip to Rajasthan is incomplete without a visit to the Golden City of India ‘Jaisalmer’. Lying on the northwestern side of Rajasthan, Jaisalmer happens to be one of the popular tourist attractions for all types of tourists. Every city in Rajasthan is associated with unique tales, impressive architecture, tourist attractions, and cultural spots. Jaisalmer is one such town that has lots of ancient monuments, historical sites, museums, and sand dunes for its tourists.
Jaisalmer is especially famous for the Thar Desert, one of the biggest and never-ending dunes. From desert camping at Sam Sand Dune to boat riding at Gadisar Lake, your trip to the Golden City will be full of history, fun, and adventure. Surrounded by Jain Temples, deserts, and pristine lakes, Jaisalmer has a lot to offer to its tourists. The city is a perfect blend of adventure and exotic culture.
Things to Do in Jaisalmer
- Enjoy desert safari, desert camping, paragliding, and exciting camel rides at Sam Sand Dunes
- Pay a visit to the Jain Temples
- Enjoy camel riding and dune bashing in the Thar Desert
- Experience boat riding at Gadisar Lake
- Capture the beautiful birds and animals at the desert national park
- Explore the history of Jaisalmer and Rajasthan by scheduling a visit to the top ancient monuments including Salim Singh Ki Haveli, Jaisalmer Fort, and Nathmal Ki Haveli.
Popular Attractions in Jaisalmer
Among best places to visit in Rajasthan is Jaisalmer. The Golden City houses some of the popular tourist attractions including Kuldhara Village, Desert Safari, Jaisalmer Fort, Gadisar Lake, Desert National Park, Salim Singh Ki Haveli, Thar Heritage Museum, Bada Bagh, and more.
Among exciting tourist places in Rajasthan is Bundi. One of the most overlooked, yet exceptionally stunning sites in Rajasthan is Bundi. Located at 210 kilometers distance from the capital city Jaipur, Bundi is famous for large reservoirs, centuries-old monuments, pristine lakes, and majestic forts.
Earlier, Bundi accommodated the local tribes and was commonly known as Bunda. According to the sources, the city gets its name from Bunda Meena, a popular local tribe man. Bundi holds historical significance for witnessing lots of battles between different rulers in ancient times. This unexploited gem in Rajasthan makes a perfect tourist destination for peace lovers and nature enthusiasts. Bundi has a plethora of impressive natural attractions including wonderful rivers and enchanting waterfalls. Moreover, Bundi is home to a great variety of animals and plants. It is believed that the scenic views and mesmerizing forts of Bundi have been an inspiration for artists and writers. Kipling has best described the charm and significance of Bundi in one of his popular novels named ‘Kim’. A trip to Bundi will make your Rajasthan tour even more mesmerizing. So, if you have already been to Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Jaipur, and other gems of Rajasthan and are looking for something extraordinary, Bundi is your ideal destination.
Things to Do in Bundi
- Get an insight into the ancient style of water harvesting at the reservoirs
- Explore the ancient forts and ancient monuments including Taragarh Fort, Sukh Mahal, and Bundi Palace.
- Discover the famous painting gallery and the 16th-century-built Taragarh Fort
- Spend some serene time near Nawal Sagar Lake
- Be a part of the Bundi Utsav
Popular Tourist Attractions
Being home to the magnificent forts, waterfalls, and picturesque surroundings, Bundi greets its tourists with lots of beautiful locations. If you are planning a trip for places to visit in Rajasthan, include Bundi on your travel list and explore the major attractions in the city i.e. Garh Palace, Chaurasi Khambon Ki Chattri, Badal Mahal, Sukh Mahal, Taragarh Fort, Moti Mahal, Raniji Ki Baori, Nawal Sagar, Jait Sagar Lake, Nagar Sagar Kund, and more.