Located near Sagar in Shimoga district, Honnemaradu is a small and quaint village. The famous river named Sharavathi flows near to this village, and that’s what makes this place different than other places. It is best known for offering many adventurous water sports, among which kayaking is the most thrilling one. The golden sands and white water make the experience more exciting and beautiful. Adventurous enthusiasts from all around the country come here to get the adventurous feeling by experiencing kayaking. Irrespective of your age, you can enjoy any type of activities under the guidance of experts.
If you have little knowledge about kayaking, then it is a water sport in which you have to get on a small boat called kayak with a double-bladed paddle. It can accommodate one person at a time. If you haven’t tried it before, then it might not be easy for you like a fresher. However, you can get a bit training and guidance with all necessary safety equipment before you board on to it. But if you are the one who loves to get indulge in adventurous activity, then it would definitely be a wonderful experience for you. The backwater of Honnemaradu provides the proper setting for experiencing kayaking. It can cost you between INR 500 to 1500. The money you spend for it will never make you feel that you wasted it, rather the adventure and experience you get is worth spending money.
More on Kayaking in Honnemaradu
Beginner’s guide to Kayaking
If this is your first time to Kayaking, then you need to observe the following guidelines: –
1. At first, it may seem easy for you when you look at people doing it. But, you need to go for kayaking training so that you would not end up paddling in circles and to get an unforgettable experience.
2. You need to wear proper clothes that are required and recommended in kayaking.
3.Based on your level and experience, you should choose your kayak.
4. Wear the buoyancy aid as it keeps you afloat while allowing free movement of your hands.
5. Sit properly in the kayak and hold the paddle properly as soon as you get on it.
6. Carry an extra pair of clothes once you are done with your kayaking session.
7. Lear properly the lesson given by your instructor or coach. Focus mainly on the rescue training so that if your kayak gets capsized, you can save yourselves and others.
8. Don’t go kayaking alone even if you are an experienced kayaker. In case of emergency, it’s better to be double than single.
Other Attractions and Things To Do
Apart from kayaking , you can also go for camping for which you have to bring your own tents. Sitting around the bonfire and enjoying the beautiful evening with some pleasant songs or Antakhyari would be an amazing feeling indeed! You can also go swimming, canoeing, and coracling. In coracling, you can ride on a boat and can have a tour in the freshwater. It can accommodate up to people at one go. Rafting, trekking and windsurfing are some more adventurous sports you can experience here.
Best Time to do Kayaking in Honnemaradu
Winters are the best time to experience kayaking (October-December). You can also go between January to March as the weather is still mildly cooler. However, in summer, this place gets hotter, and kayaking is not that much fun in the scorching heat.
The cost of kayaking can be anywhere between INR 300 to 1500, and that depends on the location, the amount of time you want to kayak, and the guidance you need.
How to Reach Kayaking in Honnemaradu
You can reach Honnermaradu by road. You can either hire a cab or go for any local transport like a bus. If you are in Bangalore or Shimoga, then you can find many deluxe private bus services to reach Honnemaradu.