Are you looking for a top tourist destination in India? Well, Maharashtra should be on the top of your travel bucket list. Full of energy, colors, culture, and natural attractions, tourist places in Maharashtra happens to be an ultimate spot for nature and adventure lovers. The state is home to the country’s most vibrant and breathtaking landscapes. From the popular fishing ports in Malvan to the rejuvenating atmosphere in Lonavala, Maharashtra has a lot in store for all kinds of tourists.
You can find abundant of attractive places to visit in Maharashtra. The state is decorated with the gems of diversity, pristine lakes, green and refreshing aura, and some scrumptious desserts. The state features a wonderful blend of modernization and natural attractions. Cities like Nasik, Pune, and Mumbai are famous for the modern culture, while Lonavala and Mahabaleshwar serve as the precious hill stations.
Tourists could schedule a visit to Shirdi to pay homage to Sai Baba. Ellora or Ajanta Caves serve as an ultimate tourist destination for history buffs. The popular footwear of Kolhapur, incredibly delicious cuisines in Pune and a friendly Marathi culture in Mumbai will give you a memorable journey. Before you plan your trip to Maharashtra, have a look at the below-listed top tourist destinations in the state. Enjoy a fun-filled vacation by touring the cosmopolitan cities and serene locations here. Let’s have a look at the best tourist places in Maharashtra.
1. Mahabaleshwar – A Popular Hill Station in the Western Ghats
Mahabaleshwar is among famous tourist places in Maharashtra. Also known as the land of strawberries, Mahabaleshwar is a hill station nestled in the Western Ghats. The majestic mountains, exotic waterfalls, and countless rivers make Mahabaleshwar a perfect destination for nature lovers. But that’s not all! The hill station features a wide range of exquisite tourist destinations and a captivating strawberry farm.
Located at a distance of 54 kilometers from Satara, Mahabaleshwar stands at a height of 1,353 meters. The charming locations and thick woods make it the queen of the hill stations in Maharashtra. During the colonial period, Mahabaleshwar was declared as the summer capital of the country. Owing to its breathtaking landscape and lush greenery, Mahabaleshwar manages to attract a larger number of tourists throughout the year.
The hill station receives a moderate climate annually. You could visit the state anytime you want, though June and October are considered the best time to schedule a visit here.
Things to Do in Mahabaleshwar
- Pick a private boat or Shikara at Venna Lake and enjoy boating, while taking in the charm of the surrounding greenery.
- Discover the wonderful trekking trails of the Mini Kashmir of India i.e. Tapola in Mahabaleshwar.
- Discover the history and mysterious tales of Pratapgarh Fort
- Take a refreshing dip in the magnificent cascades at Lingmala Falls
- Pay a visit to the Mahabaleshwar Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva
- Savor the fresh and extremely delicious strawberries with whipped cream
- Capture the captivating species of the colorful birds at Babington Point
- Admire the scenic view of the entire hill station from Arthur’s Seat
Popular Tourist Attractions
Spend some time in the lap of nature in Mahabaleshwar. Do not forget to cover the must-visit tourist attractions in the hill station including but not limited to Chinaman’s Falls, Arthur’s Seat, Wilson point, Dhobi Waterfalls, Venna Lake, Mapro Garden, Rajpuri, Mahabaleshwar Temple, Wilson Point, Connaught Peak, Elephant’s Head Point, Lingmala Falls, Tapola, Babington Point, Pratapgarh Fort, Tapola, and Town Bazaars.
2. Mumbai – The City of Dreams
Mumbai is among famous places to visit in Maharashtra. Mumbai, the capital of Maharashtra, is a perfect blend of modernity and culture, clutter and beauty, glamour and dirt. Also known as Bombay, Mumbai is home to the spiritual temples, scenic locations, historical sites, and commercial centers. From spending some serene time at Marine Drive with your spouse to exploring the thrilling Essel World with your kids, Mumbai offers a lot of fun and adventure activities to its tourists.
The city is home to the aspiring actors and models, who intend to get some big Bollywood projects. Moreover, it houses the slum dwellers and some reputable industrialists. Overall, it depicts the lifestyle and stories of people from different walks of life. The energetic Mumbaikars, extremely hot weather, pristine oceans, and the glamour world make Mumbai a must-visit tourist destination for locals and international tourists. The city sets a perfect example of a cosmopolitan lifestyle. This city is among the most visited tourist places in Maharashtra.
Things to Do in Mumbai
- Listen to the melodious Qawwali, enjoy the spectacular view of the Arabian Sea, and seek blessings at Haji Ali Dargah, situated on the Lala Lajpat Rai Road.
- Capture the breathtaking view of the sunset on Marine Drive. A stroll around this tranquil area will fill you with positivity and energy.
- Savor fresh corns and walk hand in hand with your significant other at Bandstand in Bandra.
- Indulge in the ferry ride experience on the Arabian Sea and take in the fresh sea breeze.
- Try Vada Pao, Chola Bhatura, Bhel Puri, and Pani Puri at Juhu Chowpatty.
- Buy handicrafts, trinkets, women’s accessories, apparel, and the regular-use items at Chor Bazaar
- Explore the rare wildlife at Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- Tour Essel World with your family and take some adventurous and exciting rides like Rio Grande Train, Senior Telecombat, and Hoola Loop.
- Pay a visit to the film city, home to Bollywood’s popular movies.
Popular Tourist Attractions
Explore some of the best places to visit in Maharashtra in Mumbai. The major tourist attractions you must include in your Mumbai itinerary are Juhu Chowpatty, Essel World, Haji Ali Dargah, Prithvi Theatre, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Siddhivinayak Temple, Hanging Gardens, Carter Road, Chor Bazar, Gateway of India, Marine Drive, Colaba Causeway, Aksa Beach, Gorakhgad, Mandwa Beach, Kanheri Caves, Imagica Theme Park, Dharavi, Bandra-Worli Sea Link, Jivdhan, and more.
3. Shirdi – Seek Sai Baba’s Blessings
Another among best tourist places in Maharashtra is Shirdi. Located at a few kilometers distance from Nasik, Shirdi is a spiritual site housing the temple of the famous Lord ‘Sai Baba’. The city is home to Hindu temples and some historical sites. Nestled in the Ahmednagar district, Shirdi is a spiritual destination for peace seekers and Sai Baba Devotees. The Sai Baba Temple is a major attraction here. The temple receives tourists in the count of thousands every day.
Shirdi serves as an ultimate weekend getaway destination from Nasik. The city is crowded with a large number of Sai Baba Devotees during the Guru Purnima occasion. People from different cultures and religions pay homage to Sai Baba by serving free food to the needy.
Things to Do in Shirdi
- Seek Blessings of Sai Baba at the Sai Baba Temple in Shirdi. Try to schedule a visit during the Aarti time and participate in chanting.
- Visit the Sai Heritage Village and spend some fun time exploring the cultural tribe here with your family
- Capture the marvelous architecture of Hanuman Mandir
- Spend a rejuvenating evening at Wet N Joy Water Park
- Pay a visit to Dwarkamai, the heart of the city, in which Sai Baba spent his last days.
- Visit Dixit Wada Museum and get a chance to capture the vintage photos of Sai Baba. Explore the utensils, bathing stone, long robes, and padukas of Sai Baba.
Popular Tourist Attractions
The famous places to visit in Shirdi are Shri Sai Baba Temple, Gurusthan, Lendi Baug, Samadhi Mandir, Dwarkamai, Hanuman Mandir, Wet N Joy Water Park, Sai Heritage Village, Shani Shingnapur, Baba Chavadi, Upasani Maharaj Ashram, House of Laxmibai Shinde, Dixit Wada Museum, Abdul Baba Cottage, Khandoba Mandir, and Jangli Maharaj Ashram.
4. Alibag – Explore the Sandy Beaches
places to visit in Maharashtra Located in the Raigad District of Maharashtra, Alibag is popular amongst the tourists for its serene and sandy beaches and coconut groves. The pristine beaches featuring crystal clear waters make it a perfect location for water babies. Blessed with the nature in abundance, Alibag has a lot of interesting spiritual and natural attractions for all kinds of travelers. This is the reason travelers keep it in the list of attractive places to visit in Maharashtra.
Take a break from the hectic job routine and delve into nature and breathtaking lakes in Alibag, Maharashtra. Alibag is popularly known as the mini-Goa in Maharashtra, owing to the fact that the city receives tourists in massive numbers year-round. Alibag is a perfect example of a pure and rejuvenating small, rustic town that boasts of a large number of tourist attractions. Despite being a small town, the tourists never run out of some fun and interesting activities here. The town is located at a distance of 110 kilometers from the capital city Mumbai, making it a perfect weekend getaway place for Mumbaikars and people from the nearby areas.
The countless beaches located in the city are only a few kilometers away from each other. The most popular tourist attraction in Alibag is Alibag Beach, which offers a spectacular view of the sunrise and sunset. Tourists love to spend some leisure time sitting under the majestic coconut tree and sipping the delicious and cool drink.
Things to Do in Alibag
- Explore the Kolaba Fort
- Indulge in the water-sport activities such as parasailing on the Alibag Beach
- Seek blessings at Alibag Temples
- Enjoy kayaking, camping, trekking, and shopping in Alibag
- Spend some leisure time at the Hirakot Beach
Popular Tourist Attractions
The popular tourist attractions in Alibag are Varsoli Beach, Kihim Beach, Hirakot Lake and Fort, Alibag Beach, Alibag Temple, Kolaba Fort, Mandwa Beach, Sarkhel Kanhoji Angre Samadhi, Vrindavan Farm, Nagaon Beach, Murud-Janjira Fort, and more.
5. Lonavala – A Refreshing Weekend Getaway
Among top tourist places in Maharashtra comes Lonavala. With majestic mountains and enchanting waterfalls, Lonavala is counted in the top tourist destinations in Maharashtra. This hill station, located close to Pune and Mumbai, receives a large number of trekkers and hikers every day. Nestled in the Sahyadri Mountains, Lonavala happens to be one of the most wonderful hill stations near Pune.
The royal mountains standing at a great height are mostly covered with a thick layer of mist in the rainy season. Tourists love to explore the lush greenery, natural vegetation, captivating cascades, and some ancient sites in Lonavala. It is a perfect weekend getaway for monsoon lovers. Plan a trip to this beautiful hill station with your loved ones and indulge in a romantic and serene vacation. Dotted with thick forests, pristine lakes, and amazing waterfalls, Lonavala is a must-visit tourist attraction in Maharashtra.
It makes an ultimate honeymoon destination during monsoon. You could also plan a trip to Lonavala with a bunch of friends or your family. In addition to the natural beauty, Lonavala features some ancient monuments such as Visapur. Standing at an altitude of 1084 meters, the Visapur fort has withstood the ravages of time.
Things to do in Lonavala
- Explore the green surroundings, chilly water, and rocky terrains at Bhushi Dam.
- Practice boating and hiking at Pawna Dam. It feels lovely to take a stroll around the nearby areas with your loved ones (especially in monsoon).
- Escape from Mumbai’s busy schedules and explore the tranquility of Maharashtra at Tungari Lake in Lonavala.
- Trek to the peak of the Tiger’s Leap and admire the beauty of the entire hill station from the peak.
- Capture the mesmerizing sunrise and sunset view at Lion’s Point
- Visit Rajmachi Fort to get a clear view of the Shirota Dam and the Western Ghats.
- Get a picture with the wax statues of the Indian and International celebrities at Sunil’s Celebrity Wax Museum.
Popular Tourist Attractions
Lonavala has a lot in store for hikers, trekkers, nature lovers, adventure junkies, spiritual tourists, and history buffs. It is a dream honeymoon destination for the newlyweds and an ultimate hideaway for mountain lovers. The top tourist destinations every tourist must explore in Lonavala are the Tiger’s Leap, Imagica, Sunil’s celebrity wax Museum, Tungari Lake, Pawna Dam, Rajmachi Fort, Lonavala Lake, Bhushi Dam, Amrutanjan Point, Aamby Valley, Karla Caves, Bhaja Caves, Tikona Fort, Ryewood Park, Lohagad Fort, Koregad Fort, Sausage Hills, and more.
6. Aurangabad – The Tourism Capital of Maharashtra
Being recognized as the tourism capital of the state, Aurangabad is a traveler’s hub. The city welcomes its tourists with a plethora of historical sites and ancient monuments that stood the tests of time. The city was declared as the capital city during the Mughal rule. A paradise for history lovers, Aurangabad is home to the World’s famous Ajanta and Ellora Caves. The city houses Bibi-Ka-Maqbara, Grishneshwar Temple, and a lot of sacred and ancient sites.
Aurangabad houses some of the royal tourist attractions that are declared as the World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. It also serves as a shopping hub for tourists. Even though Aurangabad is achieving industrial and commercial success, the city remains famous for its old-world charm and heritage sites.
The major tourist attraction in Aurangabad is the Ajanta caves, a world heritage site. The palace houses a total of 29 unique caves, which feature a wide range of Buddhist artwork that dates back to 650 AD. Located close to the Ajanta Caves is the Ellora Caves, which is home to 34 different caves. Overall, Aurangabad is one of the best places to visit in Maharashtra.
Things to Do in Aurangabad
- Buy hand-woven clothes and delicate silk as a souvenir from the local city’s streets
- Explore the exquisite sculptures and artwork in the caves that indicate the amazing skills of the Buddhist monks, who carved them using the basic drawing tools such as hammers and chisels.
- Explore the magnificent Mughal architecture and immerse yourself into the history of the Mughal era.
7. Pune – the Cultural Capital of Maharashtra
Pune is among another top tourist places in Maharashtra. Pune is another cosmopolitan city in Maharashtra. Also known as the Oxford of the East, Pune is a commercial and educational hub of Maharashtra. The city is a perfect example of modernity and ancient culture. The blend of the old-world charm and contemporary beauty makes Pune the cultural capital of the state. Formerly known as Poona, the city attracts a large number of tourists from all across the world.
Pune has amazing eateries and local food stalls. But, the city is popular for its delicious bakery. From extremely tasty cakes to flavorful cookies, tourists must not miss out on the local baked food in Pune. The city is a perfect location for tourists, who are bored with trekking and hiking. If you are looking for some unique and thrilling experiences, schedule a visit to Pune and explore some fun and adventurous activities while enjoying a wonderful sightseeing experience here. It is among most noticed places to visit in Maharashtra.
Things to Do in Pune
- Capture the scenic view of the entire city from the skies by boarding the two-seater sailplane at Hadapsar Gliding Center.
- Explore the mysterious history of Bajirao Mastani and Maratha Empire at Shaniwar Wada
- Sample the Pune-special Tandoori Chai served in Kullhads
- Pay a visit to the royal Aga Khan Palace
- Satisfy your taste buds with the delicious bakery of Pune at German Bakery. You will get to taste cheesecakes, Masala Chai, frozen hot chocolate, and delicious breakfast here.
- Take an evening stroll on Khadakwasla Dam
- Get a chance to capture the rare animal species, including Asiatic Lions, sloth bears, Indian elephants, and white tigers at Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park
Popular Tourist Attractions
The top places to visit in Pune are Aga Khan Palace, Osho Ashram, Vetal Tekdi, Raja Dinakar Kelkar Museum, Vishrambaug Wada, Okayama Friendship Garden, Parvati Hill Temple, Pataleshwar Cave Temple, Panshet Water Park, Mahatma Phule Museum, Shinde Chhatri, Saras garden, Mulshi Lake and Dam, National War Museum, St. Mary’s Church, ISKCON NVCC Temple, Sarasbaug Ganpati Temple, Shaniwar Wada, and Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park.
Located in the Konkan area of Maharashtra, Raigad is known for its exceptional tourist destinations and historical sites. The popular Maratha Ruler, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaja had conquered this territory in the mid 16th century. The major attraction in Raigad is the Raigad Fort, sitting at a whopping altitude of approx 820 meters above the sea level.
The Raigad Fort reminds us of the brave Maratha soldiers. Not only does it serve as the tourist attraction, but Raigad Fort is also a pilgrimage site of Hindus. A major part of the monument has turned into ruins today. According to the reports, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj renamed the fort to the capital of Marathas during his reign.
Things to Do in Raigad
- Explore the bravery of the Marathas soldiers by paying a visit to the Raigad Fort
- Explore Diveagar Beach, the quaint little beach in Raigad
- Pay homage to Jagadishwar at Jagadishwar temple
- Discover the enchanting waterfalls and lush greenery at Madhe Ghat.
Popular Tourist Attractions
The popular places to visit in Raigad are Raigad Fort, Gangasagar Lake, Takmok Tok, Jagadishwar Temple, Jijamata palace, Queen’s Palace, Mahad, Raj Bhavan, Raigad Museum, Madhe Ghat, and more.
9. Panchgani – A Twin City to Mahabaleshwar
Located in proximity to Mahabaleshwar, Panchgani is a picturesque hill station in Maharashtra. The town gets its name from the five mesmerizing hills located around this hill station. Panchgani is one of the scenic and best places in Maharashtra. Also known as The Table Land, this wonderful hill station is famous for its captivating sunset and sunrise points and natural attractions.
Situated at a height of 1,334 meters, Panchgani offers an enchanting view of the five hills on one side while plains on the other end. You could also find some British establishments as the hill station was declared as the summer resort during the colonial period.
Things to Do in Panchgani
- Participate in paragliding while enjoying the panoramic view of the entire hill station at Table Land.
- Get a rejuvenating experience at Sydney Point
- Capture the picturesque view of the green Krishna valleys and backwaters
- Capture the wonderful sunrise and sunset view from Kate’s Point
- Explore the serenity at Dhom Dham and participate in boating.
Popular Tourist Attractions
Panchgani serves as a major hill station, which exposes the tourists to the surreal nature. Some of the must-visit tourist attractions in Panchgani are Kate’s Point, Table Land, Mahabaleshwar, Kaas Plateau, Mapro Garden, Devrai Art Village, Sydney Point, Dhom Dham, Lingmala Falls, Kamalgad Fort, Harrison’s Folly, Sherbaug, Parsi Point, Rajpuri Caves, Bhilar Falls, Wai, and more.
To conclude, there are many tourist places in Maharashtra, and visitors really enjoys the diversity of this state. Above-mentioned are nine most attractive places to visit in Maharashtra, though you can find many more aesthetic places here.